You normally lose about 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water every day — much more during exercise or illness. Learn how to stay hydrated.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Tests and diagnosis
Has your doctor recommended a flexible sigmoidoscopy exam? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
June 18, 2016
- Clostridium difficile-induced diarrhea. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/infectious-diseases/anaerobic-bacteria/clostridium-difficile-–induced-diarrhea. Accessed Feb. 5, 2016.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Clostridium difficile infection, including pseudomembranous colitis. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 5, 2016.
- Cammarota G, et al. Fecal microbiota transplantation for the treatment of Clostridium difficile infection: A systematic review. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 2014;48:693.
- Waltz P, et al. Novel therapies for severe Clostridium difficile colitis. Current Opinion in Critical Care. In press. Accessed Feb. 8, 2016.
- Malani PN, et al. Expanded evidence for frozen fecal microbiota transplantation for Clostridium difficile infection: A fresh take. JAMA. 2016;315:137.
- LaMont JT. Clostridium difficile in adults: Epidemiology, microbiology, and pathophysiology. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 8, 2016.
- Kelly CP, et al. Clostridium difficile in adults: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 8, 2016.
- Frequently asked questions about Clostridium difficile for healthcare providers. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/organisms/cdiff/Cdiff_faqs_HCP.html. Accessed Feb. 8, 2016.
- LaMont JT. Clostridium difficile in adults: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 8, 2016.
- Surawicz CM, et al. Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of Clostridium difficile infections. The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;108:478.
- Davidson LE, et al. Clostridium difficile and probiotics. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 9, 2016.
- Khanna S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. Feb. 16, 2016.