Prevention

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Be alert to burn risks outside the home, especially if you work in places with open flames, chemicals or superheated materials.

To reduce the risk of common household burns:

  • Never leave items cooking on the stove unattended.
  • Turn pot handles toward the rear of the stove.
  • Keep hot liquids out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Keep electrical appliances away from water.
  • Test food temperatures before serving a child. Don't heat a baby's bottle in the microwave.
  • Never cook while wearing loosefitting clothes that could catch fire over the stove.
  • If a small child is present, block his or her access to heat sources such as a stove, outdoor grill, fireplace and space heater.
  • Before placing a child in a car seat, check for hot straps or buckles.
  • Unplug irons and similar devices when not in use. Store them out of reach of small children.
  • Cover unused electrical outlets with safety caps. Keep electrical cords and wires out of the way so that children don't chew on them.
  • If you must smoke, avoid smoking in the house and especially never smoke in bed.
  • Check your smoke detectors and change their batteries regularly.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher on every floor of your house.
  • Keep chemicals, lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
  • Set your water heater's thermostat below 120 F (48.9 C) to prevent scalding. Test bath water before placing a child in it.
Aug. 01, 2015