In addition to medical treatment and prescription medications, self-help measures may improve your symptoms. You may find these beneficial for reducing chronic mouth discomfort:
Feb. 07, 2013
- Drink more fluids, to help ease the feeling of dry mouth, but avoid carbonated beverages.
- Don't use tobacco products.
- Avoid alcohol and products with alcohol, as they may irritate the lining of your mouth.
- Avoid products with cinnamon or mint.
- Avoid spicy-hot foods.
- Avoid acidic foods and liquids, such as tomatoes, orange juice, soft drinks and coffee.
- Try different mild or flavor-free brands of toothpaste, such as one for sensitive teeth or one without mint or cinnamon.
- Take steps to reduce excessive stress.
- Burning mouth syndrome. National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Topics/Burning/BurningMouthSyndrome.htm. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Garza I, et al. Central craniofacial pain. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Burning mouth syndrome. The American Academy of Oral Medicine. http://www.aaom.com/patients/burning-mouth-syndrome. Accessed Feb. 1, 2013.
- Torgerson RR. Burning mouth syndrome. Dermatologic Therapy. 2010;23:291.
- Schiavone V, et al. Anxiety, depression, and pain in burning mouth syndrome. Headache. 2012;52:1019.
- Mendak-Ziólko M, et al. Evaluation of select neurophysiological, clinical and psychological tests for burning mouth syndrome. Oral Medicine. 2012;114:325.
- Klasser GD, et al. Management of burning mouth syndrome. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association. 2011;77:b151.
- Spanemberg JC, et al. Aetiology and therapeutics of burning mouth syndrome: An update. Gerodontology. 2012;29:84.
- Pigatto PD, et al. Burning mouth syndrome. SkinMed. 2012;10:134.
- Coping with chronic pain. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/chronic-pain.aspx. Accessed Nov. 13, 2012.
- Torgerson RR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 11, 2013.
- Davis MDP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 20, 2012.
- Steele JC, et al. Clinically relevant patch test results in patients with burning mouth syndrome. Dermatitis. 2012;23:61.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.