You may start by seeing your primary care doctor. He or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in skin disorders (dermatologist). You may want to bring a friend or relative to your appointment. This person, in addition to offering support, can write down information from your doctor or other clinic staff during the visit.
What you can do
Before your appointment make a list of:
- Symptoms you've been having and for how long
- The name and contact information of any doctor you have seen recently or see regularly
- All medications, vitamins and supplements you take, including doses
- Questions to ask your doctor
For bullous pemphigoid, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What's the most likely cause of my symptoms?
- Are there other possible causes?
- Do I need any tests?
- How long will these skin changes last?
- What treatments are available, and which do you recommend?
- What side effects can I expect from treatment?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor will likely ask you a number of questions. Be prepared to answer the following:
- When did these symptoms begin?
- Where are the blisters located? Do they itch?
- Have you observed any oozing, draining of pus or bleeding?
- Have you recently started new medications?
- Have you had a fever?