The primary feature of bullous pemphigoid is the appearance of large blisters that don't easily rupture when touched. The fluid inside the blisters is usually clear but may contain some blood. The skin around the blisters may appear normal or red.
In most cases, the blisters appear on the lower abdomen, groin, upper thighs and arms. Blisters are often located along creases or folds in the skin, such as the skin on the inner side of a joint. The affected areas of skin can be very itchy. You might also develop blisters or sores in your mouth. Rarely, the mucous membranes of the eyes can be involved, creating redness, soreness and discomfort.
When to see a doctor
If you develop unexplained blistering — a condition not caused, for example, by a known skin allergy or contact with poison ivy — see your doctor.
Nov. 21, 2012
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Bullous pemphigoid and other pemphigoid disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
- Bullous pemphigoid. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic_disorders/bullous_diseases/bullous_pemphigoid.html?qt=pemphigoid&alt=sh. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.