You'll likely start by seeing your primary care doctor. He or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in skin disorders (dermatologist). You may want to bring a friend or relative to your appointment. This person, in addition to offering support, can write down information from your doctor or other clinic staff during the visit.
Prepare a list
You should make a list to share with your doctor that includes:
- The name and contact information of any doctor you have seen recently or see regularly
- Prescription medications and dosages
- Over-the-counter drugs or dietary supplements you take regularly
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor will likely ask you a number of questions. Be prepared to answer the following:
May 13, 2015
- When did these symptoms begin?
- Where are the blisters located? Do they itch?
- Have you observed any oozing, draining of pus or bleeding?
- Have you recently started new medications?
- Have you had a fever?
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Bullous pemphigoid and other pemphigoid disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
- Bullous pemphigoid. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic_disorders/bullous_diseases/bullous_pemphigoid.html?qt=pemphigoid&alt=sh. Accessed Sept. 14, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.