Lifestyle and home remedies
Stressed out? Try meditation. Learn easy, quick techniques that you can use at work, waiting in line or virtually anywhere.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
April 29, 2015
- Bulimia nervosa. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Bulimia nervosa. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www2.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7638. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Harrington BC, et al. Initial evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. American Family Physician. 2015;91:46.
- Lock J. An update on evidence-based psychosocial treatments for eating disorders in children and adolescents. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. 2015;12:1.
- Foreman SF. Eating disorders: Overview of treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Breuner CC. Complementary, holistic, and integrative medicine: Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review. 2010;31:e75.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 16, 2015.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 23, 2015.
- Bulimia — Information prescription. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bulimia/pages/introduction.aspx. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Sim LA, et al. Identification and treatment of eating disorders in the primary care setting. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:746.
- Grothe K (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 15, 2015.
- Couturier J, et al. Efficacy of family-based treatment for adolescents with eating disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Eating Disorders. 2013;46:3.
- Campbell K, et al. Eating disorders in children and adolescents: State of the art review. Pediatrics 2014;134:582.