Bulimia may cause numerous serious and even life-threatening complications. Possible complications include:
April 29, 2015
- Dehydration, which can lead to major medical problems, such as kidney failure
- Heart problems, such as an irregular heartbeat or heart failure
- Severe tooth decay and gum disease
- Absent or irregular periods in females
- Digestive problems, and possibly a dependence on laxatives to have bowel movements
- Anxiety and depression
- Misuse of alcohol or drugs
- Bulimia nervosa. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Bulimia nervosa. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www2.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7638. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Harrington BC, et al. Initial evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. American Family Physician. 2015;91:46.
- Lock J. An update on evidence-based psychosocial treatments for eating disorders in children and adolescents. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. 2015;12:1.
- Foreman SF. Eating disorders: Overview of treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Breuner CC. Complementary, holistic, and integrative medicine: Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review. 2010;31:e75.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 16, 2015.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 23, 2015.
- Bulimia — Information prescription. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bulimia/pages/introduction.aspx. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Sim LA, et al. Identification and treatment of eating disorders in the primary care setting. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:746.
- Grothe K (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 15, 2015.
- Couturier J, et al. Efficacy of family-based treatment for adolescents with eating disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Eating Disorders. 2013;46:3.
- Campbell K, et al. Eating disorders in children and adolescents: State of the art review. Pediatrics 2014;134:582.