The exact cause of bulimia is unknown. There are many possible factors that could play a role in the development of eating disorders. But biology, emotional health, societal expectations and other factors increase your risk.
April 03, 2012
- Eating disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Jan. 17, 2012.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4.. Accessed Jan. 17, 2012.
- Forman SF. Eating disorders: Epidemiology, pathogenesis and clinical features. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan 26, 2012.
- Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=10. Accessed Jan. 17, 2012.
- Forman SF. Eating disorders: Treatment and outcome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Jan. 26, 2012.
- Breuner CC. Complementary, holistic, and integrative medicine: Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review. 2010;31:c75.
- Carei TR, et al. Randomized controlled clinical trial of yoga in the treatment of eating disorders. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2010;46:346.
- Binge eating disorder. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/binge.htm. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- LeGrange D, et al. Calculation of expected body weight in adolescents with eating disorders. Pediatrics. 2012;129:1.
- Sim LA, et al. Identification and treatment of eating disorders in the primary care setting. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:746.
- Interpersonal psychotherapy for depressed adolescents (IPT-A). National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP) Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services (SAMHS). http://nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=198. Accessed Jan. 26, 2012.
- Loeb KL, et al. Transdiagnostic theory and application of family-based treatment for youth with eating disorders. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice. 2012;1:17
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minn. Feb. 22, 2012.
- Sim LA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minn. Mar. 14, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.