Dietary supplements and herbal products designed to suppress the appetite or aid in weight loss may be abused by people with eating disorders. Weight-loss supplements or herbs can have serious side effects and dangerously interact with other medications. If you use dietary supplements or herbs, discuss the potential risks with your doctor.
April 29, 2015
- Bulimia nervosa. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Bulimia nervosa. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www2.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7638. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Harrington BC, et al. Initial evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. American Family Physician. 2015;91:46.
- Lock J. An update on evidence-based psychosocial treatments for eating disorders in children and adolescents. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. 2015;12:1.
- Foreman SF. Eating disorders: Overview of treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Breuner CC. Complementary, holistic, and integrative medicine: Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review. 2010;31:e75.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 16, 2015.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 23, 2015.
- Bulimia — Information prescription. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bulimia/pages/introduction.aspx. Accessed March 6, 2015.
- Sim LA, et al. Identification and treatment of eating disorders in the primary care setting. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:746.
- Grothe K (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 15, 2015.
- Couturier J, et al. Efficacy of family-based treatment for adolescents with eating disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Eating Disorders. 2013;46:3.
- Campbell K, et al. Eating disorders in children and adolescents: State of the art review. Pediatrics 2014;134:582.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.