Virtually everyone who has Buerger's disease has used tobacco in some form, most prominently cigarettes. To prevent Buerger's disease, it's important to not use tobacco.
Quitting smoking can be hard. If you're like most people who smoke, you've probably tried to quit in the past, but haven't been successful. It's never too late to try again. Talk to your doctor about strategies to help you quit.
Feb. 01, 2013
- Mohler ER, et al. Thromboangiitis obliterans (Buerger's disease). http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed December 5, 2012.
- Piazza G. Thromboangiitis obliterans. Circulation. 2010;121:1858.
- Azizi M, et al. Thromboangiitis obliterans and endothelial function. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2010;40:518.
- Malecki R, et al. Thromboangiitis obliterans in the 21st century — A new face of disease. Atherosclerosis. 2009;206:328.
- AskMayoExpert. Buerger disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.