To reduce your risk of bronchitis, follow these tips:
April 01, 2014
- Avoid cigarette smoke. Cigarette smoke increases your risk of chronic bronchitis.
- Get vaccinated. Many cases of acute bronchitis result from influenza, a virus. Getting a yearly flu vaccine can help protect you from getting the flu. You may also want to consider vaccination that protects against some types of pneumonia.
- Wash your hands. To reduce your risk of catching a viral infection, wash your hands frequently and get in the habit of using hand sanitizers.
- Wear a surgical mask. If you have COPD, you might consider wearing a face mask at work and in crowds.
- What is bronchitis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/brnchi. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Bronchitis (Chest cold). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/uri/bronchitis.html. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 25, 2013.
- Bartlett JG, et al. Management of infection in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 9, 2013.
- Celli BR. Pulmonary rehabilitation in COPD. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Symptom relief. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/symptom-relief.html. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.