To help you feel better, you may want to try the following self-care measures:
April 01, 2014
- Avoid lung irritants. Don't smoke. Wear a mask when the air is polluted or if you're exposed to irritants, such as paint or household cleaners with strong fumes.
- Use a humidifier. Warm, moist air helps relieve coughs and loosens mucus in your airways. But be sure to clean the humidifier according to the manufacturer's recommendations to avoid the growth of bacteria and fungi in the water container.
- Consider a face mask outside. If cold air aggravates your cough and causes shortness of breath, put on a cold-air face mask before you go outside.
- What is bronchitis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/brnchi. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Bronchitis (Chest cold). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/uri/bronchitis.html. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 25, 2013.
- Bartlett JG, et al. Management of infection in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 9, 2013.
- Celli BR. Pulmonary rehabilitation in COPD. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Symptom relief. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/symptom-relief.html. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.