It's impossible to prevent the unforeseen events that often cause a broken wrist or broken hand. But these basic tips may offer some protection.
Build bone strength
Build strong bones by:
- Eating a nutritious diet with adequate calcium and vitamin D
- Getting plenty of weight-bearing exercise, such as brisk walking
- Quit smoking if you're a smoker
Most broken wrists occur when people fall forward onto an outstretched hand. To prevent this common injury:
- Wear sensible shoes
- Remove home hazards
- Light up your living space
- Have your vision checked
- Install grab bars in your bathroom
- Install handrails on your stairways
- Avoid slippery surfaces, if possible, such as snow- or ice-covered walkways
Use protective gear for athletic activities
Wear wrist guards for high-risk activities, such as:
July 17, 2014
- In-line skating
- Wrist fractures. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. http://handcare.assh.org/Hand-Anatomy/Details-Page/ArticleID/27933/Wrist-Fractures.aspx. Accessed April 22, 2014.
- Doherty GM, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Surgery. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=343&Sectionid=39702828. Accessed April 22, 2014.
- Sebastin S, et al. Overview of finger, hand, and wrist fractures. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 22, 2014.
- Scaphoid fracture of the wrist. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00012 . Accessed April 22, 2014.
- Hand fractures. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. http://handcare.assh.org/Hand-Anatomy/Details-Page/ArticleID/27972/Hand-Fractures.aspx. Accessed April 22, 2014.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00412. Accessed April 22, 2014.
- Hand fractures. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00010. Accessed April 22, 2014.
- Bone health. National Institute for Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone_Health/default.asp. Accessed April 22, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.