Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Mar. 01, 2014
- Reeder GS, et al. Stress-induced (takotsubo) cardiomyopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 6, 2013.
- Prasad A, et al. Apical ballooning syndrome (Tako-Tsubo or stress cardiomyopathy): A mimic of acute myocardial infarction. American Heart Journal. 2008;155:408.
- Sharkey SW, et al. Takotsubo (Stress) cardiomyopathy. Circulation. 2011;124:e460.
- Kurisu S, et al. Tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy: Clinical presentation and underlying mechanism. Journal of Cardiology. 2012;60:429.
- Izumi Y. Drug-induced Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. Heart Failure Clinics. 2013;9:225.
- Sharkey SW. Takotsubo cardiomyopathy natural history. Heart Failure Clinics. 2013;9:123.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Oct. 6, 2013.
- Summers MR, et al. Takotsubo cardiomyopathy definition and clinical profile. Heart Failure Clinics. 2013;9:111.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.