Depending on the severity of the break, your family doctor or the emergency room physician may recommend that you or your child be examined by an orthopedic surgeon.
What you can do
It may be helpful to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms and the event that caused the injury
- Information about past medical problems
- All your medications and dietary supplements
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor will likely ask some of the following questions:
Dec. 06, 2012
- How exactly did the injury occur?
- Have you ever experienced any other broken bones?
- Have you been diagnosed with weakened bones?
- Clavicle fracture (broken collarbone). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00072. Accessed Oct. 5, 2012.
- Hatch RL, et al. Clavicle fractures. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 5, 2012.
- Browner BD, et al. Skeletal Trauma. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier: 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..10045-3--s0180&isbn=978-1-4160-2220-6&sid=1363898074&uniqId=370379811-3#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..10045-3--s0280. Accessed Oct. 5, 2012.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Oct. 8, 2012.
- Kim W, et al. Management of acute clavicle fractures. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2008;39:491.
- Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-4/0/1481/0.html#. Accessed Oct. 8, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.