Common causes of a broken collarbone include:
Oct. 23, 2015
- Falls, such as falling onto your shoulder or onto your outstretched hand.
- Sports injuries, such as a direct blow to your shoulder on the field, rink or court.
- Vehicle trauma from a car, motorcycle or bike accident.
- Birth injury from passing through the birth canal.
- Clavicle fracture (broken collarbone). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00072. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Hatch RL, et al. Clavicle fractures. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Peters MDJ. Surgical versus conservative interventions for treating broken collarbones in adolescents and adults. Orthopedic Nursing. 2014;33:171.
- McKee-Garrett TM. Neonatal birth injuries. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.