If you find a breast lump, consult your doctor. While most breast lumps aren't cancerous, evaluation is still important.
Tests and diagnosis
After detecting a suspicious breast lump, your doctor recommends a breast biopsy. Find out what's involved in the procedure.
Mammography can lead to detection of breast cancer at its earliest and most treatable stage.
Find out what to expect during a needle biopsy.
Nov. 09, 2012
- Non-cancerous breast conditions. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6X_Non_Cancerous_Breast_Conditions_59.asp?sitearea. Accessed Sept. 18, 2012.
- Pruthi S, et al. Vitamin E and evening primrose oil for management of cyclical mastalgia: A randomized pilot study. Alternative Medicine Review. 2010;15:59.
- Salzman B, et al. Common breast problems. American Family Physician. 2012;86:343.
- Evening primrose oil. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 19, 2012.
- Understanding breast changes: A health guide for women. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/screening/understanding-breast-changes. Accessed Sept. 18, 2012.
- Laronga C, et al. Breast cysts: Clinical manifestations, diagnosis and management. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept 18, 2012.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 11, 2012.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 11, 2012.
- Ferrara A. Benign breast disease. Radiologic Technology. 2011;82:447M.
- Pearlman MD, et al. Benign breast disease. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2010:116;747.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.