Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Tests and diagnosis
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
March 21, 2014
- Arteriovenous malformations and other vascular lesions of the central nervous system fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/avms/detail_avms.htm. Accessed Sept. 4, 2013.
- What is an arteriovenous malformation? http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/AboutStroke/TypesofStroke/HemorrhagicBleeds/What-Is-an-Arteriovenous-Malformation-AVM_UCM_310099_Article.jsp. American Stroke Association. Accessed Sept. 6, 2013.
- Singer RJ. Brain arteriovenous malformations. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 6, 2013.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 16, 2013.
- Brown RD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 11, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.