Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Is fast food on your menu tonight? You don't need to give up your weight-loss plans for this quick meal. Just be choosy.
Cultivating your spirituality can help you establish your priorities, focus on what matters most to you and reduce your level of stress.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Vasovagal syncope (fainting) is a sudden and brief loss of consciousness that occurs when the blood flow to your brain is markedly reduced.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
A pacemaker can correct a heartbeat that's too slow. Find out the risks, results and recovery time of the procedure to implant a pacemaker.
May 07, 2014
- What is an arrhythmia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arr/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2013.
- Genz LI. Sinus bradycardia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 27, 2013.
- Fuster V, ed. et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=376§ionid=40279772&jumpsectionID=40287349. Accessed Dec. 27, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=331§ionid=40727005. Accessed Dec. 27, 2013.
- Bradycardia — Slow heart rate. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Bradycardia-Slow-Heart-Rate_UCM_302016_Article.jsp. Accessed Dec. 27, 2013.
- What is an electrocardiogram? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ekg/. Accessed Jan. 13, 2013.
- Hayes DL. Indications for permanent cardiac pacing. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 13, 2014.
- Prevention & treatment of arrhythmia. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/PreventionTreatmentofArrhythmia/Prevention-Treatment-of-Arrhythmia_UCM_002026_Article.jsp. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 5, 2013.