Doctors at Mayo Clinic are continually researching ways to improve diagnosis and treatment of brachial plexus injuries. Considerable research is being carried out in the area of peripheral nerve disorders by scientists in neurology, neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery.
For example, Mayo researchers developed nerve tubes for peripheral nerve repair. These tubes are made of biomaterials invented at Mayo Clinic and researchers are now determining their effectiveness in supporting the regrowth of nerves. Another study is evaluating the relationship between specific enzymes and muscle function, then targeting high-enzyme areas to improve motor ability and mobility. Mayo researchers also developed new methods to measure motor recovery in regenerating nerves, and are using these tools to improve the techniques and results of nerve surgery.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on brachial plexus neuropathies on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Feb. 24, 2011
- Brachial plexus injury (Erb's palsy). American Society for Surgery of the Hand. http://www.assh.org/Public/HandConditions/Pages/BrachialPlexus.aspx. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Burners and stingers. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=226&topcategory=Shoulder. Accessed Nov 22, 2010.
- NINDS brachial plexus information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brachial_plexus/brachial_plexus.htm. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Erb's palsy (brachial plexus birth injury). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=314&topcategory=Shoulder. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Brombert MB. Brachial plexus syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 22, 2010.
- Sulaiman OAR, et al. Nerve transfer surgery for adult brachial plexus injury: A 10-year experience at Louisiana State University. Neurosurgery. 2009;65:A55.
- Naoyuki O, et al. Nerve grafting in brachial plexus injuries. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1996;78:754.
- Nerve injuries. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00016. Accessed Nov. 23, 2010.
- Guiffre JL, et al. Current concepts of the treatment of adult brachial plexus injuries. Journal of Hand Surgery American. 2010;35:1226.