Bone cancer is an uncommon cancer that begins in a bone. Bone cancer can begin in any bone in the body, but it most commonly affects the long bones that make up the arms and legs.
Several types of bone cancer exist. Some types of bone cancer occur primarily in children, while others affect mostly adults.
The term "bone cancer" doesn't include cancers that begin elsewhere in the body and spread (metastasize) to the bone. Instead, those cancers are named for where they began, such as breast cancer that has metastasized to the bone.
Find out why Mayo Clinic is the best place for your care.
March 17, 2015
- Bone cancer: Questions and answers. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Sites-Types/bone. Accessed Dec. 20, 2014.
- Bone cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Dec. 20, 2014.
- Cancer Facts & Figures 2015. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/research/cancerfactsstatistics/cancerfactsfigures2015/index. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Niederhuber, JE, et al., eds. Sarcomas of Bone. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 20, 2014.
- Miller HL. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 8, 2015.
- Gupta SK, et al. Principles of rotationplasty. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2012;20:657.
- So NF, et al. Prosthetic fitting after rotationplasty of the knee. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2014;93:328.
- Rose PS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 11, 2015.
- Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, Rochester, Minn. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/researchandfunding/extramural/cancercenters/find-a-cancer-center/mayoclinic. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Hornicek FJ. Bone sarcoma: Preoperative evaluation, histologic classifications and principles of surgical management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Ness KK, et al. A comparison of function after limb salvage with non-invasive expandable or modular prostheses in children. European Journal of Cancer. 2014;50:3212.
- Beauchamp CP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Pagnano MW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Larson AN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester Minn. Feb. 10, 2015.
News, connections and conversations for your health
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.