- Experience. Mayo Clinic bone cancer surgeons are recognized nationally and internationally for their surgical technical excellence and innovative abilities to treat both straightforward and complex bone cancer problems. Bone cancer is an uncommon type of cancer, but Mayo Clinic bone cancer experts have extensive experience in treating all types of cancer arising in bone. Mayo Clinic bone cancer surgeons frequently are asked to travel worldwide to educate other physicians and surgeons and to provide insight into the latest treatment techniques.
- Team approach. The team approach is a hallmark of Mayo Clinic. For those patients with bone cancer, the Mayo Clinic team often includes experts in oncology, pediatric oncology, radiation oncology, orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery, and physical medicine and rehabilitation all working together. The Mayo Clinic bone cancer team seeks to first understand the full extent of your cancer and then works collectively with you to implement a treatment plan that best suits your individual needs and goals. Consultations with doctors, testing and a formal treatment plan often can be coordinated within a single visit.
- Rapid diagnosis. Not all bone cancers are the same. Your team at Mayo Clinic is expert and experienced in advanced imaging, minimally invasive biopsy procedures and accurate pathology interpretation — each is important to quickly get you the right diagnosis and the right treatment plan.
- A full range of treatment options. Your team of Mayo Clinic bone cancer experts will help you understand the full range of treatment options available to you. The typical treatment options for bone cancer include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, several types of surgical procedures and innovative cancer ablation techniques. For some patients more than one treatment option may be combined. At every step in the decision-making process, your Mayo Clinic bone cancer team will work collectively with you to decide which treatment plan best suits you.
- Latest treatment technology. At Mayo Clinic, your team of bone cancer experts has ready access to the latest technology to improve care for people with bone cancer. From diagnosis through treatment, Mayo Clinic is at the forefront of employing advanced technologies in the best interest of people with bone cancer. Mayo Clinic radiation oncologists use advanced radiation therapy techniques, such as intensity-modulated radiation therapy and stereotactic radiosurgery. Mayo Clinic interventional radiologists are world leaders in percutaneous cancer ablation procedures.
- Comprehensive cancer center. The National Cancer Institute has designated Mayo Clinic Cancer Center in Rochester, Minnesota, a comprehensive cancer center. This designation recognizes the multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment as well as the scientific excellence of cancer work done at Mayo Clinic. Patients at Mayo Clinic have wide access to clinical trials for the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge treatments and research.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for orthopedics.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer care by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for cancer care.