There's no known way to prevent body dysmorphic disorder. However, because body dysmorphic disorder often starts in adolescence, identifying children at risk of the condition and starting treatment early may be of some benefit. And long-term maintenance treatment also may help prevent a relapse of body dysmorphic disorder symptoms.
May. 09, 2013
- Body dysmorphic disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association: 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed March 29, 2013.
- Body dysmorphic disorder. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec15/ch204/ch204b.html#sec15-ch204-ch204b-767. Accessed March 29, 2013.
- Prazeres AM, et al. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for body dysmorphic disorder: A review of its efficacy. Neuropsychiatric Disease Treatment. 2013;9:307.
- Fiora P, et al. Body dysmorphic disorder: A complex and polymorphic affection. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 2009;5:477.
- Conrado LA, et al. Body dysmorphic disorder among dermatologic patients: Prevalence and clinical features. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010;63:235.
- Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD). Anxiety and Depression Association of America. http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/related-illnesses/other-related-conditions/body-dysmorphic-disorder-bdd. Accessed March 29, 2013.
- Wilhelm S, et al. Modular cognitive-behavioral therapy for body dysmorphic disorder. Behavior Therapy. 2011;42:624.
- Fisher JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 18, 2013.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 29, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.