Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Unexplained weight loss: Symptom — Overview covers possible causes of unexplained weight loss.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Mar. 01, 2012
- Turnage RH, et al. Abdominal wall, umbilicus, peritoneum, mesenteries, omentum, and retroperitoneum. In: Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/164856770-3/902155171/1565/469.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3675-3..50052-6--cesec137_2746. Accessed Dec. 18, 2011.
- Vanderhoof JA, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of small bacterial intestinal overgrowth. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Bacterial overgrowth syndrome: Malabsorption syndromes. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec02/ch017/ch017b.html. Accessed Dec. 18, 2011.
- Vanderhoof JA, et al. Treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Vanderhoof JA, et al. Etiology and pathogenesis of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Kahn E, et al. Anatomy, histology, embryology, and developmental anomalies of the small and large intestine. In: Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/164856770-5/902188062/1389/733.html#4-u1.0-B1-4160-0245-6..50104-9--cesec7_4663. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 15, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.