DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Blepharitis (blef-uh-RYE-tis) is inflammation of the eyelids. Blepharitis usually involves the part of the eyelid where the eyelashes grow and affects both eyelids.
Blepharitis commonly occurs when tiny oil glands located near the base of the eyelashes become clogged. This leads to irritated and red eyes. Several diseases and conditions can cause blepharitis.
Blepharitis is often a chronic condition that is difficult to treat. Blepharitis can be uncomfortable and may be unsightly. But it usually doesn't cause permanent damage to your eyesight, and it's not contagious.
March 13, 2015
- Preferred Practice Pattern Guidelines. Blepharitis — 2013. San Francisco, Calif.: American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/blepharitis-ppp--2013. Accessed Feb. 6, 2015.
- Shtein RM. Blepharitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 6, 2015.
- Facts about blepharitis. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/blepharitis/blepharitis.asp. Accessed Feb. 6, 2015.
- Blepharitis. American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/blepharitis?sso=y. Accessed Feb. 6, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Blepharitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Lindsley K, et al. Interventions for chronic blepharitis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005556.pub2/abstract. Accessed Feb. 6, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Inflamed eyelid (blepharitis). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Ferri FF. Blepharitis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 6, 2015.
- Pflugfelder SC, et al. Treatment of blepharitis: Recent clinical trials. Ocular Surface. 2014;12:273.
- Sadarangani SP, et al. Non-anti-infective effects of antimicrobials and their clinical applications: A review. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015;90:109.
- Yanoff M, ed., et al. Blepharitis. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 6, 2015.
- Alpha-linolenic acid. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2015.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., Feb. 20, 2015.