Here's information to help you get ready for your appointment, and to know what to expect from your doctor or dentist.
What you can do
Before your appointment, make a list of:
- Any symptoms you're experiencing, including any that may seem unrelated to the reason for your appointment
- All prescribed medications, vitamins, herbs, other supplements and over-the-counter medications you're taking, including the dosages
- Questions to ask your doctor or dentist
Some basic questions to ask your doctor or dentist may include:
- What is likely causing my symptoms?
- What is the best course of action?
- Are there any restrictions that I need to follow?
- What kind of follow-up, if any, should I expect?
Don't hesitate to ask any other questions during your appointment.
What to expect from your doctor or dentist
Your doctor or dentist may ask you questions about your symptoms and oral care practices, including:
- When did you first notice the symptoms?
- Are your symptoms occasional or continuous?
- How often do you brush your teeth or clean your dentures?
- How often do you floss?
- What kind of mouthwash do you use?
- How much coffee or tea do you drink?
- Do you use tobacco products?
- What medications, herbal products or other supplements do you take?
- Do you breathe through your mouth?
- Have you had any recent infections or illnesses?