Diagnosis of black hairy tongue includes eliminating other conditions that may cause a similar appearance to the tongue, such as:
May 16, 2014
- Normal variations in tongue color (pigment)
- Poor oral hygiene
- Foods or medications that have stained the tongue
- Fungal or viral infections
- Inflammation of the lining of the mouth
- Hairy/coated tongue. American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. http://www.aaomp.org/public/hairy-tongue.php. Accessed Feb. 19, 2014.
- Reamy BV, et al. Common tongue conditions in primary care. American Family Physician. 2010;81:627.
- Yan P, et al. Can you identify this condition? Canadian Family Physician. 2010;56:440.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Oral lesions. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 19, 2014.
- Shimizu T, et al. Hairy tongue. BMJ Case Reports. 2012;2012:1.
- Brushing your teeth. MouthHealthy. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/b/brushing-your-teeth. Accessed Feb. 19, 2014.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 14, 2014.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2014.