Here's information to help you get ready for your appointment, and to know what to expect from your doctor or dentist.
What you can do
Prepare a list of questions to ask your doctor or dentist, including:
- What is likely causing my symptoms?
- What is the best course of action?
- Are there any restrictions that I need to follow?
- Can I wait to see if the condition clears up on its own?
- What kind of follow-up, if any, should I expect?
Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you have.
What to expect from your doctor or dentist
Your doctor or dentist may ask you questions about your symptoms and dental care practices, including:
May 16, 2014
- When did you first notice the symptoms?
- Is the condition bothersome?
- Are your symptoms occasional or continuous?
- How often do you brush your teeth or clean your dentures?
- How often do you floss?
- What kind of mouthwash do you use?
- How much coffee or tea do you drink?
- Do you use tobacco products?
- What medications, herbal products or other supplements do you take?
- Do you breathe through your mouth?
- Have you had any recent infections or illnesses?
- Have you had any recent mouth infections or other mouth symptoms?
- Hairy/coated tongue. American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. http://www.aaomp.org/public/hairy-tongue.php. Accessed Feb. 19, 2014.
- Reamy BV, et al. Common tongue conditions in primary care. American Family Physician. 2010;81:627.
- Yan P, et al. Can you identify this condition? Canadian Family Physician. 2010;56:440.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Oral lesions. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 19, 2014.
- Shimizu T, et al. Hairy tongue. BMJ Case Reports. 2012;2012:1.
- Brushing your teeth. MouthHealthy. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/b/brushing-your-teeth. Accessed Feb. 19, 2014.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 14, 2014.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.