Many influenza viruses have become resistant to the effects of a category of antiviral drugs that includes amantadine and rimantadine (Flumadine). Health officials recommend the use of oseltamivir (Tamiflu) or, if oseltamivir can't be used, zanamivir (Relenza). These drugs must be taken within two days after the appearance of symptoms.
There is concern, however, that some types of bird flu may be developing resistance to oseltamivir. Chinese health officials have developed another type of flu medication that received accelerated approval from their government for the treatment of H7N9 bird flu.
Sept. 25, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Thorner AR. Avian influenza A H7N9: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Thorner AR. Avian influenza A H7N9: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Avian influenza: Fact sheet. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/avian_influenza/en/#. Accessed Aug. 10, 2014.
- What consumers need to know about avian influenza. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm085550.htm. Accessed Aug, 15, 2014.
- Mertz D, et al. Populations at risk for severe or complicated avian influenza H5N1: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLOS. 2014;9:1.
- Key facts about influenza (flu) & flu vaccine. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/keyfacts.htm. Accessed Aug. 15, 2014.
- Prevention and treatment of avian influenza A viruses in people. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/prevention.htm. Accessed Aug. 15, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.