Signs and symptoms of bird flu may begin within two to eight days of infection, depending on the type. In most cases, they resemble those of conventional influenza, including:
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches
- Shortness of breath
Some people also experience nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. And in a few cases, a mild eye infection (conjunctivitis) is the only indication of the disease.
When to see a doctor
See your doctor immediately if you develop a fever, cough and body aches and have recently traveled to a part of the world where bird flu occurs. Be sure to let your doctor know if you visited any farms or open-air markets.
Sep. 25, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Thorner AR. Avian influenza A H7N9: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Thorner AR. Avian influenza A H7N9: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Avian influenza: Fact sheet. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/avian_influenza/en/#. Accessed Aug. 10, 2014.
- What consumers need to know about avian influenza. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm085550.htm. Accessed Aug, 15, 2014.
- Mertz D, et al. Populations at risk for severe or complicated avian influenza H5N1: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLOS. 2014;9:1.
- Key facts about influenza (flu) & flu vaccine. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/keyfacts.htm. Accessed Aug. 15, 2014.
- Prevention and treatment of avian influenza A viruses in people. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/prevention.htm. Accessed Aug. 15, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.