People with bird flu may develop life-threatening complications, including:
- Collapsed lung
- Respiratory failure
- Kidney dysfunction
- Heart problems
Although bird flu may kill more than half the people it infects, the number of fatalities is still low because so few people have had bird flu. Fewer than 500 bird flu deaths have been reported to the World Health Organization since 1997.
In contrast, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that seasonal influenza is responsible for thousands of deaths each year in the United States alone.
Sept. 25, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Thorner AR. Avian influenza A H7N9: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Thorner AR. Avian influenza A H7N9: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 7, 2014.
- Avian influenza: Fact sheet. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/avian_influenza/en/#. Accessed Aug. 10, 2014.
- What consumers need to know about avian influenza. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm085550.htm. Accessed Aug, 15, 2014.
- Mertz D, et al. Populations at risk for severe or complicated avian influenza H5N1: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLOS. 2014;9:1.
- Key facts about influenza (flu) & flu vaccine. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/keyfacts.htm. Accessed Aug. 15, 2014.
- Prevention and treatment of avian influenza A viruses in people. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/prevention.htm. Accessed Aug. 15, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.