Coping and support
Lifestyle and home remedies
Stressed out? Try meditation. Learn easy, quick techniques that you can use at work, waiting in line or virtually anywhere.
Aches and pains, irritability, and crying spells may have an unexpected source — stress. Recognize these and other signs and symptoms so that you can take action.
Tests and diagnosis
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Feb. 10, 2015
- Bipolar and related disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Dec. 10, 2014.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Publishing. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed Dec. 10, 2014.
- Depression. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/index.shtml. Accessed Dec. 10, 2014.
- Culpepper L. The diagnosis and treatment of bipolar disorder: Decision-making in primary care. The Primary Care Companion for CNS Disorders. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4195640/. Accessed Dec. 10, 2014.
- Bipolar disorder in children and adolescents. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder-in-children-and-adolescents/index.shtml. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Symbyax (prescribing information). Indianapolis, Ind.: Eli Lilly and Company; 2009. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/021520s041lbl.pdf. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Thronson LR, et al. Psychopharmacology. Medical Clinics of North America. 2014;98:927.
- Ravindran AV, et al. Complementary and alternative therapies as add-ons to pharmacotherapy for mood and anxiety disorders: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2013;150:707.
- Sarris J, et al. Bipolar disorder and complementary medicine: Current evidence, safety issues, and clinical considerations. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2011;17:881.
- Bipolar disorder in adults. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder/complete-index.shtml. Accessed Dec. 10, 2014.
- Bipolar disorder in children and teens. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=13107. Access Dec. 11, 2014.
- Bipolar disorder. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Mental_Illnesses/Bipolar1/Home_-_What_is_Bipolar_Disorder_.htm. Accessed Dec. 10, 2014.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 24, 2014.
- Birmaher B. Bipolar disorder in children and adolescents: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and course. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Veldic M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 21, 2014.
- Picardi A, et al. Psychotherapy of mood disorders. Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health. 2014;10:140.
- Frye MA, et al. Current landscape, unmet needs and future directions for treatment of bipolar depression. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2014;169S1:S17.
- Frye MA. Clinical practice. Bipolar disorder — A focus on depression. New England Journal of Medicine. 2011;364:51.