You may develop psychological and physical problems related to binge eating.
Complications that may be caused by binge-eating disorder include:
- Feeling bad about yourself or your life
- Poor quality of life
- Problems functioning at work, with your personal life or in social situations
- Social isolation
- Medical conditions related to obesity, such as joint problems, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and some sleep-related breathing disorders
Psychiatric disorders that are often linked with binge-eating disorder include:
April 09, 2015
- Bipolar disorder
- Substance use disorders
- Binge eating disorder. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/binge.htm. Accessed Feb. 28, 2015.
- Binge-eating disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Vyvanse (prescribing information). Wayne, Pa.: Shire US, Inc.; 2015. http://www.vyvanse.com/. Accessed Feb. 27, 2015.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 11, 2015.
- Grothe K (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 26, 2015.
- Sim LA, et al. Identification and treatment of eating disorders in the primary care setting. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:746.
- Binge eating disorder. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric_disorders/eating_disorders/binge_eating_disorder.html. Accessed Feb. 28, 2015.
- Sysko R, et al. Binge eating disorder in adults: Overview of treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2015.
- Goracci A, et al. Pharmacotherapy of binge-eating disorder: A review. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 2015;9:1.
- Jasik CB. Body image and health: Eating disorders and obesity. Primary Care. 2014;4:519.
- Eating disorders: Advice for parents. NHS Choice. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/eatingdisorders/Pages/eating-disorders-advice-parents.aspx. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- McElroy SL, et al. Efficacy and safety of lisdexamfetamine for treatment of adults with moderate to severe binge-eating disorder: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015;72:235.
- Winham SJ, et al. Bipolar disorder with comorbid binge eating history: A genome-wide association study implicates APOB. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2014;165:151.
- Breuner CC. Complementary, holistic, and integrative medicine: Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review. 2010;31:e75.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.