Bedsores — also called pressure sores or pressure ulcers — are injuries to skin and underlying tissues that result from prolonged pressure on the skin. Bedsores most often develop on skin that covers bony areas of the body, such as the heel, ankles, hips or buttocks.
People most at risk of bedsores are those with a medical condition that limits their ability to change positions, requires them to use a wheelchair or confines them to a bed for prolonged periods.
Bedsores can develop quickly and are often difficult to treat. Several care strategies can help prevent some bedsores and promote healing.
Mar. 19, 2011
- Bluestein D, et al. Pressure ulcers: Prevention, evaluation, and management. American Family Physician. 2008;78:1186.
- Dealey C. Skin care and pressure ulcers. Advances in Skin & Wound Care 2009;22:421.
- Black J, et al. National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel's updated pressure ulcer staging system. Dermatology Nursing/Dermatology Nurses' Association 2007;19:343.
- Pressure ulcers. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec10/ch126/ch126a.html. Accessed Jan. 25, 2011.
- Abrams GM. Chronic complications of spinal cord injury. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 28, 2011.
- Dorner B, et al. The role of nutrition in pressure ulcer prevention and treatment: National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel white paper. Advances in Skin & Wound Care 2009;22:212.
- Langemo DK, et al. Pressure ulcers in individuals receiving palliative care: A National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel white paper. Advances in Skin & Wound Care. 2010;23:59.
- Jaul E. Assessment and management of pressure ulcers in the elderly: Current strategies. Drugs & Aging. 2010;27:311.
- Garcia AD. Assessment and management of chronic pressure ulcers in the elderly. The Medical Clinics of North America. 2006;90:928.
- Tleyjeh I. Infectious complications of pressure ulcers. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 30, 2011.
- Berlowitz D. Treatment of pressure ulcers. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 30, 2011.
- Berlowitz D. Prevention of pressure ulcers. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 30, 2011.