Your child will need a physical exam. Depending on the circumstances, your doctor may recommend:
Oct. 11, 2014
- Urine tests to check for signs of an infection or diabetes
- X-rays or other imaging tests of the kidneys or bladder, if the doctor suspects a structural problem with your child's urinary tract or another health concern
- Other types of tests or assessments, if other health issues are suspected
- Urinary incontinence in children. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/uichildren/. Accessed Aug. 24, 2014.
- Tu ND, et al. Nocturnal enuresis in children: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 24, 2014.
- What I need to know about my child's bedwetting. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/bedwetting_ez/index.aspx. Accessed Aug. 24, 2014.
- Caldwell PHY, et al. Management of nocturnal enuresis. BMJ. 2013;347:f6259.
- Tu ND, et al. Nocturnal enuresis in children: Etiology and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 24, 2014.
- Bayne AP, et al, Nocturnal enuresis: An approach to assessment and treatment. Pediatrics in Review. 2014;35:327.
- Huang T, et al. Complementary and miscellaneous interventions for nocturnal enuresis in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005230.pub2/abstract. Accessed Aug. 24, 2014.
- Enuresis. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Aug. 24, 2014.
- Complementary, alternative, or integrative health: What's in a name? National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam. Accessed Aug. 29, 2014.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 1, 2014.
- Lynch BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 18, 2014.
- Desmopressin Acetate (marketed as DDAVP Nasal Spray, DDAVP Rhinal Tube, DDAVP, DDVP, Minirin, and Stimate Nasal Spray) December 2007. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm152113.htm. Accessed Sept. 19, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.