Your doctor will look closely at your skin to determine whether you have a pressure ulcer and how bad the damage is. He or she will try to assign a stage to the wound. Staging helps determine what treatment is best for you. He or she might also order a blood test to assess your general health.
Questions from the doctor
Your doctor might ask questions such as:
- When did the pressure sore first appear?
- What is the degree of pain?
- Have you had pressure sores in the past?
- How were they managed, and what was the outcome of treatment?
- What kind of care assistance is available to you?
- What is your routine for changing positions?
- What medical conditions have you been diagnosed with, and what is your current treatment?
- What is your normal daily diet and fluid intake?