In Barrett's esophagus, tissue in the tube connecting your mouth and stomach (esophagus) is replaced by tissue similar to the intestinal lining.
Barrett's esophagus is often diagnosed in people who have long-term gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) — a chronic regurgitation of acid from the stomach into the lower esophagus. Only a small percentage of people with GERD will develop Barrett's esophagus.
Barrett's esophagus is associated with an increased risk of developing esophageal cancer. Although the risk is small, it's important to have regular checkups for precancerous cells (dysplasia). If precancerous cells are discovered, they can be treated to prevent esophageal cancer.
Mayo Clinic's approach to Barrett's esophagus care
July 13, 2017
- Ferri FF. Barrett's esophagus. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Barrett's esophagus: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Shaheen NJ, et al. ACG clinical guideline: Diagnosis and management of Barrett's esophagus. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2016;111:30.
- Barrett's Esophagus. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/barretts-esophagus/all-content. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Feldman M, et al. Barrett's esophagus. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Hu Q, et al. Proton pump inhibitors do not reduce the risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma in patients with Barrett's esophagus: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2017;12:1.
- Krishnamoorthi R, et al. Risk of recurrence of Barrett's esophagus after successful endoscopic therapy. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2016;83:1090.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 25, 2017.