- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors care for more than 4,100 people with Barrett's esophagus each year.
- Research. The Mayo Clinic Esophageal Adenocarcinoma and Barrett's Esophagus Registry compiles information from people receiving care at Mayo. Researchers hope this information can help them gain a greater understanding of the genetic basis of Barrett's esophagus and develop a genetic blood test that can easily screen for the disease. Mayo specialists are studying the use of genetic information to determine which treatments are likely to offer the best results for people with Barrett's esophagus.
Read more about research in the Barrett's Esophagus Laboratory.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for digestive disorders.
July 13, 2017
- Ferri FF. Barrett's esophagus. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Barrett's esophagus: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Shaheen NJ, et al. ACG clinical guideline: Diagnosis and management of Barrett's esophagus. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2016;111:30.
- Barrett's Esophagus. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/barretts-esophagus/all-content. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Feldman M, et al. Barrett's esophagus. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 17, 2017.
- Hu Q, et al. Proton pump inhibitors do not reduce the risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma in patients with Barrett's esophagus: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2017;12:1.
- Krishnamoorthi R, et al. Risk of recurrence of Barrett's esophagus after successful endoscopic therapy. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2016;83:1090.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 25, 2017.