ResearchBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Mayo Clinic researchers are working to improve diagnosis and treatment of Barrett's esophagus. Specific efforts involve novel imaging techniques to detect early cancer changes in Barrett's esophagus, advanced endoscopy to treat Barrett's esophagus and early cancers, medications that can decrease cancer risk, and genetic factors that may be related to Barrett's esophagus.
The Mayo Clinic Esophageal Adenocarcinoma and Barrett's Esophagus Registry compiles information from people receiving care at Mayo. Researchers hope this information can help them gain a greater understanding of the genetic basis of Barrett's esophagus and develop a genetic blood test that can easily screen for the disease.
Read more about research in the Barrett's Esophagus Laboratory and Barrett's Esophagus and Esophageal Cancer Laboratory.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on Barrett's esophagus on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Aug. 07, 2014
- Mark S. Allen, M.D.
- Navtej S. Buttar, M.D.
- Stephen D. Cassivi, M.D.
- Francis C. Nichols III, M.D.
- Victor F. Trastek, M.D.
- Michael B. Wallace, M.D.
- Kenneth K. Wang, M.D.
- Dennis Wigle, M.D., Ph.D.
- Herbert C. Wolfsen, M.D.
- Louis M. Wong Kee Song, M.D.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of Barrett's esophagus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Management of Barrett's esophagus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Who should be screened for Barrett esophagus? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Estores D, et al. Barrett Esophagus: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management. Current Problems in Surgery. 2013;50:192.
- Nelsen EM, et al. Diagnosis and management of Barrett's esophagus. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2012;92:1135.
- Gorospe EC, et al. Risk stratification and surveillance in Barrett's esophagus. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. In press. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Pathogenesis of Barrett's esophagus and its malignant transformation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Qumseya BJ, et al. Advanced imaging technologies increase detection of dysplasia and neoplasia in patients with Barrett's esophagus: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2013;11:1562.
- Bergman JJ, et al. Radiofrequency ablation for Barrett's esophagus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Tomizawa Y, et al. Assessment of the diagnostic performance and interobserver variability of endocytoscopy in Barrett's esophagus: A pilot ex-vivo study. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;19:8652.
- Ek WE, et al. Germline genetic contributions to risk for esophageal adenocarcinoma, Barrett's esophagus, and gastroesophageal reflux. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2013;105:1711.
- Barrett's Esophagus. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/barretts/index.aspx. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.