Lifestyle changes can ease symptoms of GERD, which may underlie Barrett's esophagus. Consider:
Aug. 07, 2014
- Maintaining a healthy weight.
- Avoiding tightfitting clothes, which can put pressure on your abdomen and aggravate reflux.
- Eliminating foods and drinks that trigger your heartburn.
- Stopping smoking.
- Avoiding stooping or bending, especially soon after eating.
- Avoiding lying down after eating. Wait at least three hours after eating to lie down or go to bed.
- Raising the head of your bed. Place wooden blocks under your bed to elevate your head. Aim for an elevation of 6 to 8 inches. Raising your head by using only pillows isn't a good alternative.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of Barrett's esophagus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Management of Barrett's esophagus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Who should be screened for Barrett esophagus? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Estores D, et al. Barrett Esophagus: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management. Current Problems in Surgery. 2013;50:192.
- Nelsen EM, et al. Diagnosis and management of Barrett's esophagus. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2012;92:1135.
- Gorospe EC, et al. Risk stratification and surveillance in Barrett's esophagus. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. In press. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Pathogenesis of Barrett's esophagus and its malignant transformation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Qumseya BJ, et al. Advanced imaging technologies increase detection of dysplasia and neoplasia in patients with Barrett's esophagus: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2013;11:1562.
- Bergman JJ, et al. Radiofrequency ablation for Barrett's esophagus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Tomizawa Y, et al. Assessment of the diagnostic performance and interobserver variability of endocytoscopy in Barrett's esophagus: A pilot ex-vivo study. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;19:8652.
- Ek WE, et al. Germline genetic contributions to risk for esophageal adenocarcinoma, Barrett's esophagus, and gastroesophageal reflux. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2013;105:1711.
- Barrett's Esophagus. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/barretts/index.aspx. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.