Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic Staff
If you've been diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus, you may worry about your risk of esophageal cancer. The risk of developing cancer is very small. If you experience anxiety, consider:
Aug. 07, 2014
- Activities that help you relax, such as exercise or listening to music
- Healthy lifestyle choices, to ease any GERD symptoms and improve your overall health
- Spechler SJ, et al. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of Barrett's esophagus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Management of Barrett's esophagus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Who should be screened for Barrett esophagus? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Estores D, et al. Barrett Esophagus: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management. Current Problems in Surgery. 2013;50:192.
- Nelsen EM, et al. Diagnosis and management of Barrett's esophagus. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2012;92:1135.
- Gorospe EC, et al. Risk stratification and surveillance in Barrett's esophagus. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. In press. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Spechler SJ, et al. Pathogenesis of Barrett's esophagus and its malignant transformation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Qumseya BJ, et al. Advanced imaging technologies increase detection of dysplasia and neoplasia in patients with Barrett's esophagus: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2013;11:1562.
- Bergman JJ, et al. Radiofrequency ablation for Barrett's esophagus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2014.
- Tomizawa Y, et al. Assessment of the diagnostic performance and interobserver variability of endocytoscopy in Barrett's esophagus: A pilot ex-vivo study. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;19:8652.
- Ek WE, et al. Germline genetic contributions to risk for esophageal adenocarcinoma, Barrett's esophagus, and gastroesophageal reflux. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2013;105:1711.
- Barrett's Esophagus. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/barretts/index.aspx. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.