The following tips can help you reduce or eliminate bags under eyes:
Sept. 26, 2014
- Use a cool compress. Wet a clean washcloth with cool water. While sitting up, apply the damp washcloth to the skin under and around your eyes for a few minutes using mild pressure.
- Get enough sleep at night. For most adults, seven to eight hours a night is a good amount of sleep.
- Sleep with your head slightly raised. Add an extra pillow or prop up the head of your mattress. Or elevate the entire head of the bed a few inches. This helps prevent fluids from accumulating around your eyes as you sleep.
- Reduce allergy symptoms. Avoid allergens when possible. Try over-the-counter allergy medications. Talk to your doctor about prevention strategies if you develop under-eye reactions due to hair dyes, soaps, cosmetics or other allergens.
- AskMayoExpert. Eyelid surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Eyelid surgery. American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. http://www.surgery.org/consumers/procedures/head/eyelid-surgery. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Yanoff M, ed., et al. Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Eyelid surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Neligan PC. Plastic Surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 4, 2014.
- Goldberg RA, et al. What causes eyelid bags? Analysis of 114 consecutive patients. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2005;115:1395.
- Brain basics: Understanding sleep. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/understanding_sleep.htm. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Goldberg DJ. Ablative laser surfacing for skin rejuvenation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Bradley EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., July 22, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.