If you're going to have your bad breath evaluated by your dentist, these tips can help:
- Dentists generally prefer morning appointments for testing bad breath to reduce the chances that foods you eat during the day will hinder the exam.
- Don't wear perfume, scented lotions, or scented lipstick or lip gloss to your appointment, as these products could mask any odors.
- If you've taken antibiotics within the last month, check with your dentist to see if your appointment needs to be rescheduled.
What to expect from your dentist
Your dentist will likely start with an evaluation of your medical history, asking questions such as:
- When did you first begin to experience bad breath?
- Is your bad breath occasional or continuous?
- How often do you brush your teeth or clean your dentures?
- How often do you floss?
- What kinds of foods do you eat most often?
- What medications and supplements do you take?
- What health conditions do you have?
- Do you breathe through your mouth?
- Do you snore?
- Do you have allergies or sinus problems?
- What do you suspect might be causing your bad breath?
- Have other people noticed and commented on your bad breath?
Be ready to answer these questions so that you can make the most of your appointment time.