- Experience. Mayo Clinic is a leading center for the diagnosis and treatment of autoimmune pancreatitis. Mayo treats close to 2,200 people each year for pancreatitis, including autoimmune pancreatitis.
- Diagnosis leader. Mayo Clinic doctors have led efforts to establish diagnostic guidelines for autoimmune pancreatitis, to help distinguish the disease from pancreatic cancer and prevent unnecessary surgery. Mayo researchers were instrumental in efforts to standardize the diagnostic guidelines, which incorporate criteria originally developed at Mayo Clinic.
- Expertise. Mayo specialists have unique expertise in endoscopic core needle biopsy, a procedure that allows them to obtain samples of pancreatic tissue for analysis without surgery. This procedure allows them to make a definitive diagnosis of AIP type 2.
- Active research. Mayo Clinic has played a major role in identifying and describing this newly recognized disorder and in evaluating treatment.
- Team approach. An experienced team of gastroenterologists, endoscopists, pathologists, radiologists and surgeons works together to provide accurate diagnosis and comprehensive and coordinated treatment for people with autoimmune pancreatitis.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Dec. 20, 2014
- Hart PA, et al. Long-term outcomes of autoimmune pancreatitis: A multicentre, international analysis. Gut. 2013;62:1771.
- Chari ST, et al. A diagnostic strategy to distinguish autoimmune pancreatitis from pancreatic cancer. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2009;7:1097.
- Sah RP, et al. Autoimmune pancreatitis: An update on classification, diagnosis, natural history and management. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2012;14:95.
- Greenberger NJ. Autoimmune pancreatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- O'Reilly DA, et al. Review of the diagnosis, classification and management of autoimmune pancreatitis. World Journal of Gastrointestinal Pathophysiology. 2014;5:71.
- Pancreatic cancer symptoms. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/pancreas/page5. Accessed Oct. 23, 2014.
- What are pancreatic enzymes? Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. http://www.pancan.org/section-facing-pancreatic-cancer/learn-about-pan-cancer/diet-and-nutrition/pancreatic-enzymes/. Accessed Oct. 27, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 26, 2014.
- Kamisawa T, et al. Recent advances in autoimmune pancreatitis: Type 1 and type 2. Gut. 2013;62:1373.
- Hart PA, et al. Treatment of relapsing autoimmune pancreatitis with immunomodulators and rituximab: The Mayo Clinic experience. Gut. 2013;62:1607.
- Shimosegawa T, et al. International consensus diagnostic criteria for autoimmune pancreatitis: Guidelines of the International Association of Pancreatology. Pancreas. 2011;40:352.
- Khandelwal A, et al. Recent advances in the diagnosis and management of autoimmune pancreatitis. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2014;202:1007.
- Chari ST (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 18, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.