Autoimmune pancreatitis can cause a variety of complications.
- Pancreatic insufficiency. AIP may affect the ability of your pancreas to make enough enzymes. Signs and symptoms may include diarrhea, weight loss, metabolic bone disease, and vitamin or mineral deficiency.
- Diabetes. Because the pancreas is the organ that produces insulin, damage to it may cause diabetes, and you may need treatment with oral medication or insulin.
- Pancreatic calcifications or stones.
Treatments for autoimmune pancreatitis, such as long-term steroid use, also can cause complications. However, even with these complications, people who are treated for autoimmune pancreatitis have a normal life expectancy.
There is no established association between AIP and pancreatic cancer.
Dec. 20, 2014
- Hart PA, et al. Long-term outcomes of autoimmune pancreatitis: A multicentre, international analysis. Gut. 2013;62:1771.
- Chari ST, et al. A diagnostic strategy to distinguish autoimmune pancreatitis from pancreatic cancer. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2009;7:1097.
- Sah RP, et al. Autoimmune pancreatitis: An update on classification, diagnosis, natural history and management. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2012;14:95.
- Greenberger NJ. Autoimmune pancreatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- O'Reilly DA, et al. Review of the diagnosis, classification and management of autoimmune pancreatitis. World Journal of Gastrointestinal Pathophysiology. 2014;5:71.
- Pancreatic cancer symptoms. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/pancreas/page5. Accessed Oct. 23, 2014.
- What are pancreatic enzymes? Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. http://www.pancan.org/section-facing-pancreatic-cancer/learn-about-pan-cancer/diet-and-nutrition/pancreatic-enzymes/. Accessed Oct. 27, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 26, 2014.
- Kamisawa T, et al. Recent advances in autoimmune pancreatitis: Type 1 and type 2. Gut. 2013;62:1373.
- Hart PA, et al. Treatment of relapsing autoimmune pancreatitis with immunomodulators and rituximab: The Mayo Clinic experience. Gut. 2013;62:1607.
- Shimosegawa T, et al. International consensus diagnostic criteria for autoimmune pancreatitis: Guidelines of the International Association of Pancreatology. Pancreas. 2011;40:352.
- Khandelwal A, et al. Recent advances in the diagnosis and management of autoimmune pancreatitis. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2014;202:1007.
- Chari ST (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 18, 2014.