Chelation therapy, a treatment that's used to remove metals from your bloodstream, is being studied as a heart disease treatment.
Is your child dealing with a mental health condition? Recognize the warning signs.
Wonder about the benefits and risks of childhood vaccines? Get answers to your questions.
How close is too close when it comes to timing pregnancies? Consider the impact pregnancy spacing can have on your health and your baby's health.
Jun. 03, 2014
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/autism/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Volkmar F, et al. Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2014;53:237.
- LaBlanc LA, et al. Behavioral interventions for children with autism spectrum disorders. Pediatric Clinics of North America. 2012;59:147.
- Autism spectrum disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Weissman L, et al. Autism spectrum disorder in children and adolescents: Complementary and alternative therapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Learn the signs — Act early: Concerned. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/concerned.html. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Autism spectrum disorder. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/dsm5. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- A parent's guide to autism spectrum disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/a-parents-guide-to-autism-spectrum-disorder/what-are-the-symptoms-of-asd.shtml. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Augustyn M. Terminology, epidemiology, and pathogenesis of autism spectrum disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Bridgemohan C. Surveillance and screening for autism spectrum disorder in primary care. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Cheuk DKL, et al. Acupuncture for autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007992.pub2/abstract. Accessed March 3, 2014.
- American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement: Sensory integration therapies for children with developmental and behavioral disorders. Pediatrics. 2012;129:1186.
- Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs): Do vaccines cause autism spectrum disorders (ASDs)? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/topics.html. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Autism fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/dsm5. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Chelation: Therapy or "therapy"? National Capital Poison Center. http://www.poison.org/current/chelationtherapy.htm. Accessed Feb. 24, 2014.
- Patterson MC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 24, 2014.
- Tervo RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 28, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.