PreventionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
There's no sure way to prevent depression. However, these strategies may help.
Sept. 17, 2015
- Take steps to control stress, to increase your resilience and to boost your self-esteem.
- Reach out to family and friends, especially in times of crisis, to help you weather rough spells.
- Get treatment at the earliest sign of a problem to help prevent depression from worsening.
- Consider getting long-term maintenance treatment to help prevent a relapse of symptoms.
- Depressive disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Depression. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml. Accessed July 31, 2015.
- Depression. National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Depression/Overview. Accessed July 31, 2015.
- Lojko D, et al. Atypical features in depression: Association with obesity and bipolar disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2015;185:76.
- Stress and relaxation techniques: What the science says. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/relaxation-science. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Cristancho MA, et al. Atypical depression in the 21st Century: Diagnostic and treatment issues. Psychiatric Times. 2011;28:42.
- Ohayon MM, et al. Challenging the validity of the association between oversleeping and overeating in atypical depression. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2015;78:52.
- Koyuncu A, et al. Relationship between atypical depression and social anxiety disorder. Psychiatry Research. 2015;225:79.
- Silverstein B, et al. Evidence for broadening criteria for atypical depression which may define a reactive depressive disorder. Psychiatry Journal. In press. 2015;2015:575931. Accessed Aug. 27, 2015.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 19, 2015.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 27, 2015.