ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Like other types of depression, atypical depression is a serious illness that can cause major problems. Atypical depression can result in emotional, behavioral and health problems that affect every area of your life.
For example, atypical depression can be associated with:
Sept. 17, 2015
- Weight gain due to an increased appetite
- Personal and work relationship problems due to rejection sensitivity
- Drug or alcohol use due to trouble coping
- Other mental health disorders such as anxiety
- Suicide from feelings of depression
- Depressive disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Depression. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml. Accessed July 31, 2015.
- Depression. National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Depression/Overview. Accessed July 31, 2015.
- Lojko D, et al. Atypical features in depression: Association with obesity and bipolar disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2015;185:76.
- Stress and relaxation techniques: What the science says. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/relaxation-science. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Cristancho MA, et al. Atypical depression in the 21st Century: Diagnostic and treatment issues. Psychiatric Times. 2011;28:42.
- Ohayon MM, et al. Challenging the validity of the association between oversleeping and overeating in atypical depression. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2015;78:52.
- Koyuncu A, et al. Relationship between atypical depression and social anxiety disorder. Psychiatry Research. 2015;225:79.
- Silverstein B, et al. Evidence for broadening criteria for atypical depression which may define a reactive depressive disorder. Psychiatry Journal. In press. 2015;2015:575931. Accessed Aug. 27, 2015.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 19, 2015.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 27, 2015.