High blood pressure affecting only the arteries in your lungs is known as pulmonary hypertension. Discover the symptoms, risk factors and treatment for this condition.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Cardiac catheterization is used as a test for some heart conditions and as a procedure to treat some types of heart disease. Find out more.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Aug. 14, 2015
- Fleishman CE, et al. Clinical manifestations, pathophysiology, and diagnosis of atrioventricular (AV) canal defects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Congenital heart disease. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 201t. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Fleishman CE, et al. Management and outcome of atrioventricular (AV) canal defects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- What are holes in the heart? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/holes. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Martin RJ, et al. Genetic and environmental contributions to congenital heart disease. In: Fanaroff and Martin's Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.; Saunders Elsevier; 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. What other conditions are associated with ventricular septal defect (VSD)? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Backer CL. Modified single patch: Are we still worried about subaortic stenosis? Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2015;99:1671.
- Creasy RK, et al. Fetal cardiac malformations and arrhythmias. In: Creasy and Resnik's Maternal-Fetal Medicine: Principles and Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- The impact of congenital heart defects. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/TheImpactofCongenitalHeartDefects/The-Impact-of-Congenital-Heart-Defects_UCM_001218_Article.jsp. American Heart Association. Accessed June 7, 2015.